Thursday, October 29, 2009

Stitches East 2009, here we come!

I have attended almost all Stitches events - East, West, and North - except for the new one this year in Atlanta. And every time I have asked Rick Mondragon, the editor of Knitter's magazine "Why not Denver?" The answer has been that Denver probably will not attract as many attendees as the more populous cities. I will keep asking the question - you will never know, maybe some day.


The policy was changed a few years back, so we are not allowed to take pictures inside the hall anymore, sigh!

As I said, I am a "seasoned" Stitches participant. But I am still amazed every time I walk onto the market floor. This year was no different, but I learned to pace myself and not to buy the first skein of yarn that smiled at me (may be the 2nd one?). So we started down aisle 1, up aisle 2, and so on and so forth....a very  well-planned expedition. That was Friday from 10 a.m. to about 4 p.m. with maybe a half-hour lunch. I think if our feet had not complained, we would have stayed longer. We went back Saturday for an encore, but this time we just stopped by a few booths that had stood out the day before.


Webs was our favorite because they had the most yarn. They occupied a space equal to 10 booths, so it was hard to miss. My sisters and I filled our rolling cart (yes, a cart), then moved next door to Yarn Barn of Kansas. A dear and talented friend, Boulder's own Ann McCauley, was signing her latest book, "Together or Separate" there at noon. Her book was sold out, by the way. The "photo police" graciously allowed us to take a picture with Ann.

I think I went a little overboard as usual, but I kept saying to myself that this is once-a-year kind of thing. And that worked really well. So here are some of the new additions to my stash. For some I had a specific project in mind, others I just had to have because the color was so incredible.


I fall in love with every hand-dyed yarn I touched there, but settled for these because of the intense colors and the "melt in your hand" softness.



 The maroon-colored yarn in the middle is Madeline Tosh worsted, meant for the Farmers' Market Cardigan by Connie Chinchio. I walked by it a few times and finally succumbed to it. But at least I have a specific project in mind. The multicolored yarn at the bottom left, Jojoland Harmony, will be a challenge because it is thinner than thin. It will be someday  be a shawl.


Last but not least, I bought these two by the bag. I am planning to use Rustic Wool for the Mondo Cardigan KAL.

I am back home, but I think I am still up in the yarn clouds somewhere. I keep stroking, and touching these yarns.

I hope someone is cooking dinner.

1 comment:

  1. Mmmm, yarn! Look at all that loot. I hope you remembered your mantra while you were at Stitches... :-).

    ReplyDelete